ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENTS » DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE » BOTANY
The department of Botany was opened in 1971 when Botany as a separate discipline began to be taught in B.Sc pass course. The department was upgraded in 1997 Honours teaching course was started. It is the youngest Laboratory based subject and is still growing up to meet up its necessary infrastructural setup. Still the department has been maintaining a very sound track record in the sphere of students’ performances.
- 3 Year B.Sc. Honours Course in Botany
- 3 Year B.Sc. General Course in Botany
Academic Curriculum (269 KB)
- The department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books. Students and teachers normally consult the departmental library.
- The Botany Laboratory is quite a well equipped laboratory under the University of Calcutta. Basic and advanced facilities, available/ acquired over the years are: a Plant Museum, Laboratory with dissecting facilities, Centrifuge, Microscope both Compound and Simple,Camera lucida,Occular micro-meter,Stage micrometer,Overhead projector, Incubator, Microtome for tissue section, Colorimeter, Digital photo-electric Colorimeter, Centrifuge, Pointer eye piece, Analytical balance, Single pan balance, Digital pan balance, Refrigerator, etc.
- Museum of the department: The department has an excellent Plant Museum with collection of some rare species
- The Department has got one computer and internet facility with LAN Connection. Computers and internet facility are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
- Lecture method is normally followed. Over head Projector, slide projector and Audio System used for teaching.
- Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes at regular intervals and home assignments are also arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students.
- Study Tour/Field Wok (included in the curriculum): Annual Floral Field Study according to the syllabus is conducted by the department regularly for both Honours and General Students. The survey involves study of Flora diversity in different phyto geographical regions of India. Fields study tours are conducted every year at ecosystems like, central Harbariun, Indian Botanic Garden and different regions of Eastern Himalaya where students are made familiar with floral diversity with respect to altitudinal variations. Detail of the survey reports and field work assignments are attached.
- Wall Magazine: The students of the department of Botany takes active role in bringing out a wall magazine on various issues related to Botany included in the curriculum and advancement the subject outside the curriculum.
- .Exhibition: The students of the department of Botany take active role every year in college socials to put up exhibition stalls in various issues related to flora diversity and Uniqueness of some economic Plants Particularly of Medicinal Value.
- Teachers regularly participate in Remedial coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST, minorities communities and financially backward class.
- Teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counseling cell.
Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. Students are proficient in Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders.
- Biotechnology: Dr. Parthasarathi Ghosh
- Genetics: Dr. Parthasarathi Ghosh & Dr. Dibyendu Talukdar
- Plant Breeding: Dr. Dibyendu Talukdar
- Plant Physiology & Biochemistry: Dr. Binod Kr. Pathak
- Phycology: Nilu Halder
In September 2010 the University Grants Commission has awarded Nilu Halder a Minor Research Project in Botany titled "Collection, Characterization and Identification of Some Aquatical Flora of Ponds, Shallow Water bodies, Swampy Lands of Hooghly District, West Bengal." bearing financial support of Rs. 1,27,500/-.
The faculty members have more than 25 publications in various reputed refereed journals, conference proceedings, edited volumes to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the department.
|Name of the Teacher||Designation||Phone No|
|Dr. Binod Kr. Pathak||Associate Professor||+91-9433292058|
|Dr. Parthasarathi Ghosh||Assistant Professor||+91-9903169650|
|Dibyendu Talukdar||Assistant Professor||+91-9231671741|
|Nilu Halder||Assistant Professor||+91-9883752656|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.