ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENTS » DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE » CHEMISTRY
The Department of Chemistry is one of the leading department in science stream. It is surging ahead under the able leadership of a dedicated faculty since the college got affiliated to B.Sc in Pass course 1956 under the University of Calcutta and particularly when Honours Course in Chemistry was started in 1966. The Chemistry Laboratory is one of the best and well equipped laboratory under the University of Calcutta.
- 3 Year B.Sc. Honours Course in Chemistry
- 3 Year B.Sc. General Course in Chemistry
Academic Curriculum (198 KB)
- The department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books. Students and teachers normally consult the departmental library.
- The Chemistry Laboratory is one of the best and well equipped laboratory under the University of Calcutta. Basic and advanced facilities, available / acquired over the years. Important and exclusive Instruments available are: LPG Gas plant with pipe line, Distilled water Plant, Fume Chamber, Colorimeter, Conductivity meter, Hot PlateMelting Point BathMicro oven, Refrigerator, Polarimeter, Potentiometer, Vacuum Pump, PH Meter, Hot air-oven ETC.
- The Department has got one computer and internet facility with LAN Connection. Computers and internet facility are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
- The department organizes student seminar regularly to encourage the students in their studies and prepare them for higher studies and preparation to write and present papers.
- Lecture method is normally followed. Over head Projector, slide projector and Audio System used for teaching.
- Apart from this procedure, tutorial classes at regular intervals and home assignments are also arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond class hours and during vacations for academic interaction with students.
- Study Tour/Field Work: The Department organizes study tours in industries, laboratories etc to gain firsthand knowledge for students annually.
- The students of the department of Chemistry takes active role in bringing out a wall magazine on various issues related to Chemistry included in the curriculum and advancement the subject outside the curriculum.
- The students of the department of Chemistry take active role every year in college socials to put up exhibition stalls in various issues related to Chemistry. In 2009 the theme was "GREEN CHEMISTRY".
- Teachers regularly participate in Remedial coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST, minorities communities and financially backward class.
- Teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counseling cell.
Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. Students are proficient in Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders
All most all faculty members are engaged in research work or have been registered for Ph.D. work.
- Major thrust areas within the subject in which research activities are being pursued.
- Organic Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry / Waste water treatment
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
The faculty members have more than 19 publications in various reputed journals/ conference proceedings to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the department.
|Name of the Teacher||Designation||Phone No|
|Dr. Nasima Banu (Khan)||Associate Professor||+91-9836936634|
|Dr. Arnab Kumar De||Associate Professor||+91-9831558108|
|Dr. Jaya Mukherjee||Assistant Professor||+91-9433981961|
|Mausumi Saha||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||+91-9830693595|
|Pallab Gayen||Assistant Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||+91-9433379385|
|Dr. Dilip Kumar Dey||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||+91-9433340722|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.