ACADEMICS » DEPARTMENTS » DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE » PHYSICS
Physics as a separate discipline was introduced from the very beginning , i.e from 1964. Distinguished teachers adorned the faculty time to time. At present the department has five (5) teachers – four Associate professors, one senior lecturer. One of them is guest lecturer of M.Tech (C.U).The academic condition in terms of quality of faculty and learning transfer process is healthy and adequate. All the teachers of the department are sincerely engaged in scholarly pursuits.
- 3 Year B.Sc. Honours Course in Physics
- 3 Year B.Sc. General Course in Physics
Academic Curriculum (275 KB)
- The department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books. Students and teachers normally consult the departmental library.
- Well equipped laboratory with Basic and advanced facilities, available/ acquired over the years.
- The Department has a separate computer laboratory as the syllabus is ICT based and there are 9 computers and internet facility with LAN Connection.
- Teachers regularly participate in Remedial coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST, minorities communities and financially backward class.
- Teachers participate in the programmes organized by the UGC Sponsored Career and Counseling cell.
Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Students largely come from rural background from low and middle-income group. Students are proficient in Bengali & English. The subject is preferred equally by both the genders.
- Theoretical Plasma Physics (Study of linear & non-linear waves in multicomponent & dusty plasma).
- Space Physics (Space Weather-Modeling of ionosphere total electron content).
- Nuclear Astrophysics (Study of gross properties of dense steller objects).
ISRO Project Phase I: (Completed In 2006) Indian Space Research Organization RESPOND program, Department of Space, Government of India. Awarded Dr. Shyamal Kr. Chakraborty a major Research Project titled "A Study on the Variability of Total Electron Content Near the Crest of the Equatorial Anomaly in the Indian Zone" for three years (12.01.2006-11.01.2009) bearing financial support of Rs. 8.62 lakhs which is successfully completed.
Two Major Research Projects, under Indian Space Research Organization RESPOND program, Department of Space, Government of India :
- ISRO Project Phase II: (On Going) In 2009 Indian Space Research Organization RESPOND program, Department of Space, Government of India. Awarded Dr. Shyamal Kr. Chakraborty a major Research Project titled "A study on variability of post-sunset total electron content and scintillation near the crest of the equatorial anomaly in the Indian zone" for three years bearing financial support of Rs 9.98 lakhs lakhs.
- D.S.T Project: In 2010 the Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India has awarded Dr. Shyamal Kr. Chakraborty a Major Research Project in Physics titled "Electrodynamical control over the ionization processes near the crest of the equatorial ionization anomaly and beyond" for three years bearing financial support of Rs. 54,00,00,/-(Rupees Fifty For Lakhs)
The faculty members have more than 7 publications in various conference proceedings, edited volumes to their credit for the last five years, which are all available in the department. Dr. S. Dasgupta and Dr. S. Ghosh Mondal has published a Book on "Advanced Practical Physics – Microprocessor & C language"in 2008. Dr. Shyamal Kr. Chakraborty has published Five Research papers in National/ International journals in last five years. Six Papers are presented and published in different seminar/Symposium which are all available in the Deptt.
|Name of the Teacher||Designation||Phone No|
|Dr. Parbati Basak||Associate Professor||+91-33-25642884|
|Dr. Santanu Dasgupta||Associate Professor||+919433327235|
|Dr. Shyamal Kumar Chakraborty||Associate Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||+91-32-12269588|
|Dr. Sugopa Ghosh Mondal||Associate Professoremail@example.com||+91943321670|
|Prantick Dey||Associate Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||+919836220124|
ATTENTION: The telecallers/sales people are not requested to contact through the details provided in the table above. The contacts are to be made with reference to pure academic reasons. Violation of this will cause a legal offense against the respective callers.